The Beach House: Inspired by nature

The Beach House: Inspired by nature

With the completion of their latest project, a 4 bedroom beachfront villa known simply as “The Beach House”,

Ton Company Ltd has upped the ante for architecture and construction in the Krabi area The Beach House, located on a private cove in Krabi, Thailand, is no ordinary villa build. The site is surrounded by majestic limestone cliffs, and borders a mangrove beach, with views across to the islands in the National Marine Park.

The uniqueness of the site demanded something special, something that was not the standard “L-shape around pool” design. The architect and contractor, Ton Company Ltd, came up with a plan consisting of four separate buildings, connected by a communal terrace, with each being oriented to take maximum advantage of the stunning natural landscape. Guests can enjoy views from all rooms - including the bathrooms, with the use of one-way mirror glass.

The buildings – three of which house bedrooms, and another the semi-open-air living, dining and kitchen space – minimize the environmental impact of the villa and increase the sense of space: in total, the built area of the plot has been kept to only 20%, leaving 80% green space. And, by keeping most of the existing trees, the villa is barely visible from the sea, thus preserving the integrity of the coastline. The low-rise structures use natural sea breezes and cross ventilation for cooling. This, coupled with high cathedral ceilings and double insulated cavity walls, mean air conditioning is usually only necessary during the night time. The central cooling system is hidden behind panels in each room.

As recommended by all major environmental bodies, greywater (run-off from sinks, bathtubs and showers) is reused through an underground garden irrigation system, which keeps the lawn green without using additional water. The Beach HouseThe materials used for construction in The Beach House are, in many cases, a novelty in the Krabi area.

Instead of traditional tiles, The Beach House owners opted for tiny blue-black ceramic and glass mosaic tiles in the infinity swimming pool, which required many weeks of skilled labour to install. Asphalt shingles on the roof allowed for a marine inspired design, as they are flexible and easily cut, creating beautifully clean curved rooflines that mimic the hull of a boat. But the advantage of asphalt is not just aesthetic.

The shingles are exceptionally watertight, as well as lightweight, which meant the roof structure could be greatly simplified. This in turn reduced the amount of material used in the frame, for a positive impact on both the environment and on building costs. The villa’s proximity to the sea meant usual building materials needed to be changed to take into account the environmental factor of salty air.

All windows are UPVC, with galvanized steel frames; the roof frame is made out of locally-sourced hardwood – the same used for boat building. Finally, the villa kitchen is equipped to catering standard, as it is expected to play host to weddings and other celebrations. Efficient food preparation and serving were high priorities in the design process, with features such as an in-counter waste bins and extra wide surfaces.

The Beach House is truly a unique property in this part of Thailand and Ton Company is proud of its achievements in the design and construction of the villa.